Welcome!

Venice has 'captured' the heart, mind and imagination of so many writers, poets, artists and historians. Venice is one of my favourite subjects in art, literature and history, and I am always eager to learn more and look more at this unique and special place. This Venice blog is my way of collecting the wealth of images, poems, prose and impressions of Venice.

Saturday 1 September 2012

What I'm reading - Campo behind the Scuola di San Rocco

John Singer Sargent, Scuola di San Rocco, c. 1903
One of my special places in Venice is the small campo behind the Scuola di San Rocco.  Small, hidden, it is private and usually deserted.  I've spent many hours there enjoying the quiet, the warm salmon coloured walls of the Scuola (which was built by Pietro Bon between 1515-1524) and the sound of the water lapping against the water steps from the the Rio della Frescada. 

Some years ago, I was leafing through a 2006 exhibition catalogue, Sargent's Venice, and my heart stopped - there was my campo, captured by one of my favourite painters of Venice, John Singer Sargent (1856 -1925).  Sargent apparently painted several watercolour views of the campo, but this version above is my favourite.  It captures the serenity and gentle beauty of the scene. 

If I so chose, I could purchase reproductions of this image on a variety of items - kitchen tiles, IPAD cases, drink coasters, even a jigsaw puzzle..but I'd rather let the memory of ths wonderful image dwell in my imagination.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me of that marvelous campo, which I haven't visited for too long--which I basically forgot all about. I had no idea Sargent painted it, and would never have known it, I suspect, if not for your post. What a great water color.

    I'm in complete agreement with your willingness to hold this image only in your mind and memory, not in your hands on the side of a coffee cup. It seems rare to resist purchasing a souvenir these days--I find it takes an effort--but I think it's worth it. Certainly, two of my favorite writers (Henry James & Proust) repeatedly emphasized that such restraint, such a trust in personal memory, was the better path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sig. Nonloso, thank you for stopping by at this blog, and I'm glad you've got to share this wonderful water colour. There are many talented craftspeople working in Venice, and one of my great pleasures is stopping by some of the studios and supporting an artist by purchasing a piece of jewellery or artwork. Regards, Karen

      Delete