Welcome!

Venice has 'captured' the heart, mind and imagination of so many writers, poets, artists and historians. Venice is one of my favourite subjects in art, literature and history, and I am always eager to learn more and look more at this unique and special place. This Venice blog is my way of collecting the wealth of images, poems, prose and impressions of Venice.

Saturday 27 April 2013

What I'm reading - Diego Valeri's my name on the wind...

I've been quiet with this blog as I prepare to start a new job next week, and finalise my previous work.  I've also been occupied planning and preparing a visit to Venice later in the year. 

It will be my first visit to Venice with my husband, and we'll have just six short days.  My husband has been to Venice twice, but only as a day-tripper during his younger, back-packing years, and I am completely over excited and nervous at once. 

There's so much I want to pack into our six-day visit (my list of things to experience is already six pages long), and I also want to give him time and space to know Venice.  My goal is to have him be so bowled over by the light, the history, the mystery, the magic of the city, that he too will want to visit again and again and again...

My question for you is this: if you wanted your loved one to fall in love with Venice, where would you take them?   

One of the places I want to visit is the site of poet Diego Valeri's home on Fondamente dei Cereri in Dorsoduro.  I've only recently discovered Valeri's gorgeous poetry, and through Alloggi Barbaria's blog, I discovered more about Valeri in Venice

I used to live just a few streeets away on Fondamente delle Procuratie and I savour picturing Valeri's local scene.  A plaque marks the spot:

Qui c'e sempre un poco di vento
a tutte l'ore, di ogni staggione:
un soffio almeno, un respiro.
Qui da tanti anni sto io, ci vivo.
E giorno dopo giorno scrivo
il mio nome sul vento.

Here, there's always a bit of wind
all hours, every season,
a puff at least, a breath.
Here, I've lived so long, here I stay.
And I write day after day
my name on the wind.

Calle del vento 1975

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful and exciting for you - but I can understand your trepidation.

    Hard to know where to start isn't it? For those of us who've already been captivated it's all entrancing. But as I'm sure you know - the best way is to leave hours and hours for just meandering, stopping for cafe, spritz etc etc!

    But Palazzo Grimani is one of my recent favourite out of the way places - rarely anyone else there when I've visited.
    Walking the back streets through to the Grand Canal near Salute at night when no one is around.
    A visit to the Arsenale if it happens to be open.

    Enjoy the planning!

    And - just a quick thank you for the wonderful information about the Turner from the Tate. WE LOVED IT. A really interesting and captivating exhibition, and well worth the 7 hours drive each way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your suggestion of Palazzo Grimani. It wasn't on my list!!! And thank you for letting me know about your trip to Adelaide for Turner from the Tate - it was great wasn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Depending on the time of year you will be there, being on Via Garibaldi (Castello) as the sun sets can be just beautiful, with the light in the sky ever changing, and the shadows cast by people and dogs. In similar fashion, if you can get the timing right, being on the vaporetto from the Lido at sunset, as it approaches Venice, affords some unforgettable views.

    Enjoy the Queen of cities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yvonne, thank you for your comment from a few months ago, and my apologies for my delayed reply. I can believe I missed it. Thank you also for your suggestion to go to Via Garibaldi as the sun sets...we enjoyed a cold drink and a respite from our calle pounding at a bar near the water. We also took a ferry (to Torcello, not the Lido) so my husband had the chance to experience just a little bit of the lagoon. So much more to do and see, though!

    ReplyDelete