Welcome!

Venice has 'captured' the heart, mind and imagination of so many writers, poets, artists and historians. Venice is one of my favourite subjects in art, literature and history, and I am always eager to learn more and look more at this unique and special place. This Venice blog is my way of collecting the wealth of images, poems, prose and impressions of Venice.

Sunday 6 April 2014

Would you forsake Venice for a fig?

Today marks the end of daylight savings in Australia. 
 
Our weather is becoming milder, the days are shorter and soon our brief winter will arrive. 

The season for fresh ripe berries, stone fruits and my favourite, figs, is also drawing to a close. 

I've spent my past week chasing the last of the figs all over Sydney, and was delighted last night to be treated to delicious baked figs at a dear friend's home. 


I remembered what Pietro Aretino had to say about Venice: 

'...if the earthly paradise where Adam dwelled with Eve were like Venice, Eve would have had a hard time to tempt him out of it with any fig. For it would have been another matter to lose Venice, where there are so many lovely things, than to lose that place where there are nothing but figs, melons and grapes'. 

Buona domenica! 

No comments:

Post a Comment