Welcome!

Venice has 'captured' the heart, mind and imagination of so many writers, poets, artists and historians. Venice is one of my favourite subjects in art, literature and history, and I am always eager to learn more and look more at this unique and special place. This Venice blog is my way of collecting the wealth of images, poems, prose and impressions of Venice.

Saturday 5 July 2014

Examining the facade of the Scuola Grande di San Marco

Even partially covered in scaffolding, the Renaissance marble facade of Venice's hospital, in the former Scuola di San Marco, is extraordinary.


Scuola Grande di San Marco, Venice capturingvenice.blogspot.com
Taking in the facade of the Scuola Grande di San Marco in Castello
It was harder to see the imperious lions carved in the alcoves on the lower portion of the building, as they were barricaded off during the construction works:


Scuola Grande di San Marco, Venice capturingvenice.blogspot.com
Detail of the facade of the Scuola Grande di San Marco
And it wasn't until I came home to Australia, and was properly reviewing my photos from the trip, that I fully appreciated the sumptuousness, the richness of the carving, decoration and coloured marbling of this gorgeous building.

I noticed how smaller lion heads are carved into the top portions of the facade:


Scuola Grande di San Marco, Venice capturingvenice.blogspot.com
The small lion heads adorning the Scuola Grande di San Marco
And then I enjoyed the triumphant lion that crowns the facade.  

I also really like that angel with her hands held together in prayer, looking up to the sky, on the top right hand side of the photo:


Scuola Grande di San Marco, Venice capturingvenice.blogspot.com
Top of the facade of the Scuola di San Marco, Castello
And then I let my eyes roam south, to enjoy the colour of the marble, the statuary and rich carving in the main part of the facade:


Scuola Grande di San Marco, Venice capturingvenice.blogspot.com









3 comments:

  1. There is so much detail in that facade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently started a blog, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work. parcheggio san marco

    ReplyDelete