Welcome!

Venice has 'captured' the heart, mind and imagination of so many writers, poets, artists and historians. Venice is one of my favourite subjects in art, literature and history, and I am always eager to learn more and look more at this unique and special place. This Venice blog is my way of collecting the wealth of images, poems, prose and impressions of Venice.

Tuesday 2 October 2012

Early morning vaporetto

I love early mornings in Venice, and I love the serenity and stateliness of the vaporetto chugging its way up the Grand Canal in the morning light. 

I took this photo standing on the Accademia bridge in 2007, and looking at it, I remember the familiar, solid, smooth feel of the balustrade of the bridge as I leaned over it, and the quiet of the morning.



Whenever I stand on the bridge, I am always looking for the Salute and the Peggy Guggenheim Collection.  Looking at this photograph again, I noticed for the first time that you can see mosaics glinting in the sun.

I went to my trusty guide, The Grand Canal (Umberto Franzoi) and discovered that the mosaics belong to the Palazzo Barbarigo, originally a 16th century building that stands alongside Campo San Vio in Dorsoduro.  The palazzo was headquarters for Pauly & C, Compagnia Venezia Murano, which was founded in 1866.  The mosaics were applied by Giulio Carlini (1830-37), and reference the Basilica. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment