Welcome!

Venice has 'captured' the heart, mind and imagination of so many writers, poets, artists and historians. Venice is one of my favourite subjects in art, literature and history, and I am always eager to learn more and look more at this unique and special place. This Venice blog is my way of collecting the wealth of images, poems, prose and impressions of Venice.

Monday 20 January 2014

Ponte Chiodo and Ponte Diavolo - bridges without railings in Venice

I'll always remember my surprise when I first encountered the famous bridge without railings in Venice - Ponte Chiodo in Cannareggio. 

It's a private bridge that leads to a residence, and for some reason, it's never occurred to me to actually walk across it or take a photograph of it. 

It has occurred to me to draw it though.

As you can see, I'm certainly not an artist, but I love art, and I yearn to be skillful at visually rendering the beauty and uniqueness of Venice.  

I did some sketching whilst we were in Venice in October 2013, and during the Christmas holidays, I spent some long, happy sunny afternoons watching the Test cricket and playing with pastels and watercolours.  Here's what the Ponte Chiodo looks like:

Ponte Chiodo in Cannareggio, Venice.  Pastel drawing by CapturingVenice.blogspot.com
The only other bridge without railings that I've seen in Venice is on the island of Torcello - the Ponte del Diavolo.  We were racing to catch the next vaporetto back to Fondamente Nuove so I didn't get a chance to sketch it, but I did take a photo of it:


Ponte del Diavolo in Torcello

No comments:

Post a Comment