Welcome!

Venice has 'captured' the heart, mind and imagination of so many writers, poets, artists and historians. Venice is one of my favourite subjects in art, literature and history, and I am always eager to learn more and look more at this unique and special place. This Venice blog is my way of collecting the wealth of images, poems, prose and impressions of Venice.

Monday 27 January 2014

Venice facts - The number of bridges and islands in Venice

If you've been reading my recent posts, you'll know that I've had bridges on my mind.

The other night I got interested in finding out exactly how many bridges there are in Venice.

Well.  

You'd think it'd be easy to find an answer, but Google searching in both English and Italian yielded conflicting results.  

Based on the number of times that I read this answer, it seems to be that there are 117 islands in Venice, connected by 409 bridges.  

What do you think?  
Have you ever counted the number of islands and bridges in Venice?
What answer did you get?


2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    according to Insula (http://www.venicebackstage.org/it/) there are 124 islands and 438 bridges.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AnnaLivia
    Interesting! I haven't seen this website, so I'll have to check it out. Thank you also for your information about the number of bridges and islands in Venice.
    Best, Karen

    ReplyDelete